In September, Al and I spoke with Dave Fowler from First Wind. Dave attempted to calm us by saying that MET (meteorological test) towers had not yet been erected and that planning of the Molunkus Wind Project had barely begun. His summation was, “It’s too early.” We agreed to meet and discuss this further.
It’s been three months since our phone call with Dave Fowler. We heard rumors that Connecticut did not agree to purchase power produced from the Molunkus Wind Project, and that if the project went forward, it would be 5-6 years before First Wind erected turbines. On December 9, Al and I sent email to Dave Fowler requesting a meeting and status.
Here is the reply from First Wind:
My name is Charlie Baldwin,
I am a new hire at First Wind and will be working with Dave Fowler in the Development Department.
Dave forwarded me your email concerning the status of a potential wind project near Molunkus Lake.
I looked into the status and can tell you that the project is on hold indefinitely. MET towers have not been erected and no new assessments have been made concerning the location of towers.
I can tell you that if the project moves forward in the future the first step would be for First Wind to submit a DEP Permit application. We would be happy to notify you at the time such a permit were submitted.
I’m also happy to field any further questions you have regarding the potential project.
Thanks and have a great holiday!
Development Project Coordinator
This is our response to Charles Baldwin, First Wind, sent December 17, 2013:
Thank you for your response to our inquiry concerning the Molunkus Wind Project. We would like further information on the following:
- Why is the Molunkus Wind Project currently on hold?
- What happened to the sale of wind power from this project to Connecticut?
- I understand that there have been no new assessments concerning the location of towers. Please let us know where First Wind has mapped tower placement currently. We would like to work with you on that right now, before this project gets resurrected.
- Please keep us in the loop as far as notification. A DEP Permit application is not the first step. It may be the first step with the state of Maine, but not in your planning process.
We represent much of the community on Aroostook Road and Molunkus Lake – all of whom want to be notified and involved, providing community input on this project.
Thank you. We look forward to hearing from you.
Al and Mollie Straub
Charlie Baldwin replied that since he is a new-hire, he needs time to get up to speed and give us answers. “Please bear with me as I acquire and relay the information to your community.”
I’ll keep you posted on our communication with First Wind. As always, keep up to date on current wind power issues at windtaskforce.org.